Summer 2008 Adventure!
Here’s a short list of the fun adventures that our family undertook during Summer of ’08! Fabulous, educational and quirky are perfect adjectives to describe what we encountered!
- Nature’s Castles at Longwood Gardens: (Kennet Square, PA): an exhibit of three amazing tree houses integrated into the landscape of an exquisite horticultural showplace. (longwoodgardens.com)
- Cape May Whale Watcher: sailing from Cape May, this boat does its very best, during a 2 or 3 hour sai,l to locate dolphins, porpoises and whales on the Atlantic Ocean coast of New Jersey. (capemaywhalewatcher.com)
- Real Pirates: The Untold Story of the Whydah: at the Franklin Institue of Philadelphia, this is an incredibly unique and authentic venture into the lives of real pirates – their lifestyle, habits, loot and so much more! (Franklin Institute)
- Eastern State Penitentiary: huge, creepy and educational all describe this prison, closed and basically untouched since 1971, located in downtown Philadelphia. (easternstate.org)
- Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania: this small Pocono mountain town features beautiful Victorian architecture dating back to its rich coal mining history. Some stand out attractions include: the Harry Packer Mansion that was the inspiration for Disney’s Haunted Mansion, the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway, No. 9 Coal Mine and Museum, the Mauch Chunk Switchback Gravity Rail Road better known as the first roller coaster of the Olde Prison, a long defunct prison replete with both lore and history. (jimthorpe.org)
- Concerts and Plays: concerts and plays included Mamma Mia, Spam-a-Lot, Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi!
- Annapolis, Maryland: our family loves this water front town with its sense of history, delicious crabs and fabulous shopping. Our favorite hotel is the new Westin which has a cool zen vibe and allows pets! (The Westin, Annapolis Visitor Information)
I hope you’re inspired by the very busy summer that we’ve had and explore one of these “adventures” with your family! If I had to choose only two of the above, I’d definitely make time for the Pirate exhibit and a day trip to Jim Thorpe! Enjoy!
You may also enjoy:
- Give Your Summer a Theme
- Clever Ideas for the First Day of School
- Let’s Talk About Halloween
- Pack a “Green” Lunch