Tip of the Week: Warm up the Winter with a Hot Chocolate Bar!
During the cold winter months, it’s nice to entertain guests who, like you, might be suffering from a bit of cabin fever! And adding a hot chocolate bar to any winter gathering will be a welcome addition! Here are some ideas for delicious hot chocolate and an assortment of toppings that will bring out the kid in everyone!
I’ve come across a few recipes for home made hot chocolate that are worth the effort, especially if you’ve gone to the trouble of gathering those garnishes!
From Giada De Laurentis
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
In a medium saucepan, heat 4 cups of the milk over low heat, being very careful not to let the milk boil. In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa, sugar, and the remaining 1/2 cup milk. Add the cocoa mixture to the warm milk, and continue to warm the cocoa until hot. Serves 4.
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate (chips or chopped bars are both fine)
- 2 quarts milk (8 cups)
1. Combine the chocolate and milk in a heavy saucepan. Place over medium heat until bubbles form, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer until the chocolate melts, whisking constantly.
2. Before serving, raise the heat until the chocolate just boils, still whisking. Serves 8.
From Barefoot Contessa
Your easiest option – a rich and smooth hot chocolate mix made with the finest chocolate! (Sinful Hot Chocolate Mix)
Pick one, two or all to complete the hot chocolate bar!
- Crumbled toffee candy, like Heathbar
- Crushed peppermints or candy canes
- Peanut brittle bits
- Mini chocolate chips/peanut butter chips/white chocolate chips
- Chopped thin crème de mint candies, like Andes
- Mini marshmallows
- Marshmallow topping, like Fluff (remember that?)
- Chocolate dipped candy sticks (Reception Sticks Assorted Flavors)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Candy canes
- Rock candy sticks (Demitasse Sticks)
- Party Spoons (Whipped Topping Dollops On Spoons)
- Grand Marnier
- Crème de Mint
I hope that these suggestions for a Hot Chocolate Bar will add a warm and cozy menu addition at your next get together! Did I miss a fabulous topping? Just let me know!
And for more fun and quick tips, come follow me on Twitter – you’ll have to join but it’s easy and free!
You may also enjoy:
- The Sweetest Valentine’s Day Gifts – Valentine’s Day Gift Guide
- Fun Art at Art-O-Mat
- Host a Cupcake Themed Party!
- Fabulous Cocktail Rings
- Top Essentials for Your Wardrobe