This holiday season, I was excited to write about some beautiful, lasting Advent calendars, but what I didn’t do was give you some ideas for filling those 24 compartments! Given the small size and the number of the boxes that need to be filled, this job can be a little challenging, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Gift certificates to a favorite fast food spot or ice cream shop
- Hair accessories (an assortment of ribbons, barrettes* or pony tail holders)
- Matchbox cars
- Bouncy balls
- Small tree ornaments for a miniature tree, perhaps in their room!
- Holiday themed jewelry – an inexpensive charm can be tied to a pretty ribbon necklace
- Christmas shaped erasers
- Mini containers of PlayDoh
- Small candies or holiday wrapped truffles
- Handwritten notes promising a round of cookie baking, a car ride to look at light displays, or something else that is special to your children and will fit into your schedule!
- Holiday beads and charms that can then be made into a bracelet or necklace
- Pieces from a Polly Pocket kit, culminating in a complete kit
- Keep your eyes open at the dollar store or the dollar spots at Target and Michaels for more ideas!
*The adorable hair clips featured at the top of page may be purchased at lilsugarplum.com.
Good luck with this project that will be a daily source of fun and excitement for your family!
Do you have a favorite idea for an Advent calendar filler? I’d love to know!